February 23, 2007

Transition to Maturity

As I sat down tonight to read the Word I thought to myself how bland my time in the Word has become. I don’t get the deep insights that once had, and verses don’t jump out at me like they used to. Not lately, at least. But as I thought to myself why this might be, the Spirit stuck a thought in my mind. I am not a baby anymore. The Lord doesn’t have to hold my hand at every turn and make the Word appear to me as if it were written on a billboard. I must study the Word, I am responsible for searching its profound wisdom. The Holy Spirit will teach me, but I hold the discipline to carry it through.

Isn’t it awesome to serve a God that doesn’t baby us, even though we expect it most of the time? How would we grow as Christians if He spoon-fed every lesson to us? When I was child I did childish things and ate food fit for children. Now I am passing through adolescence and into adulthood, and the mantle has been placed on my shoulders. As a man of God I am responsible for learning His Word, and for seeking His truth. And I am glad to do it. Just as He is glad to meet me and teach me.

No comments: